Back to its original glory days, we are bringing the lobby back to the 1920’s with the Hotel Syracuse Restoration.
The old becomes new again with the renovation at Marriott Syracuse Downtown as the crew is bringing back the historic lobby to its 1924 dimensions.
Walls are coming down: The wall that was built in the 1960s and shortened the lobby by about 50 feet. This division was to the left of the hotel’s registration desk to create a bar and work space behind the bar. Removing the wall has given access to the view of two large, arched windows as well as a balcony overlooking East Onondaga and South Warren streets.
Ed Riley decided to get rid of the wall and bar to bring the lobby back to the way it looked when the hotel opened in 1924. “It will increase the size of the lobby, and we get to use it not just as a lobby, but as a pre-function space,” Riley said.
The balcony behind the wall will also be restored by removing a second-story floor that was built behind the wall. It will match a balcony that still exists at the opposite end of the lobby, above the Cavalier Room. The Hotel Syracuse restoration plans include renovating the Cavalier Room and put the lobby’s new bar in there.
As the details of the project continue to unfold, we are happy to share them. Stay tuned over the coming weeks for even more details!
Until next week,
Marriott Syracuse Downtown